Friday, July 01, 2005

July

July has arrived, and with it our first holiday letting season. Our first guests arrive tomorrow and we're ready and waiting, after a busy week getting everything ready. In fact Carmen has gone to Carrefour this morning to get the last bits and pieces - towels, spare pillows and stuff. Our long term tenant left the place looking ostensibly decent, but closer inspection revealed a different story and in the end we got in a cleaning crew to give it a good going over.

The other thing we're a bit nervous about is a possible no show - I haven't had replies to my emails or been able to get through to their mobile number... I resisted suggestions that I should get 100% of payment up front, only a 25% deposit, so if they don't show we lose the other 75% which would be a pain. They'll show though... *crosses fingers*

We're wondering what the guests will make of the place. Our long-term tenant said that the nasty smell which hangs in the lobby sometimes gets into the main bedroom, which is a bit worrying. Also that the upstairs neighbours can be very noisy. We decided at the last minute to swap the pull-out bed in the second bedroom for a put-you-up bed which I bought in Lid1. It looked fairly flimsy initially but it has a wooden slat base and feels comfortable to lie on, even for big old me.

We're hoping everyone enjoys their stay and none of these factors result in disgruntled visitors. They've at least got a new, bigger TV than used to be in there, and a DVD player with a selection of DVDs, plus some board and card games and a good selection of books, and I will be taking Sandy's advice and welcoming them with a bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers.

The kids are on summer holiday and are enjoying the free time. They're both going to the creche in the mornings - they have activities for Jamie's age group, and her two best friends from school are also there.

We've taken Danny out of nappies during the day to get him ready for school in the autumn. That's been going reasonably well, as long as we put him on the toilet often enough... Even then he makes a big fuss, esp about no. 2s, and we've had quite a few accidents (some not so accidental), but he manages it on the loo more often than not.

The other day I took them to the playground, and at one point I couldn't see Danny. I was frantically looking around when I heard 'PAPA PAPA' and saw him standing behind a big rock. I walked over and he'd pulled down his trousers and pants to have a wee against the rock. Of course it had gone all over the trousers and pants! Good boy, well done, BUT, please come and get daddy forst next time....

Luckily it was a hot day and he dried out quickly, not too much embarrassment... But I was cringing 2 minutes later when he came down the slide sandwiched between Jamie and another kid... Needless to say both kids' clothes went straight in the wash when they got home, and both of them straight in the bath!

I'm pleased with how my diet has been going. Despite the beery trip to Cardiff right at the end of May, Sandy and Nanny's visit with lots of meals out, and being unable to run or cycle for most of June due to a knee injury, I still lost 3.9 kg from 1 June to 1 July. Currently 93.0. The closer you get to your target, the harder it is to keep going - everyone keeps saying I don't need to lose any more etc. But I know from experience that once you've got the diet momentum going it's best to carry on until you're completely happy.

My original target was 85 kg, not sure whether I'll have the perseverence to get that far though. I'm already pretty skinny - apart from the eternal beer belly, which has got a lot smaller but is still firmly there.

No comments: