Thursday, November 04, 2004

Jog blog

I went for a jog on Sunday evening, not as long as the previous one, just to the beach and back and then up to the castle and back home. It was still quite cold and windy after the stormy weather in the afternoon, but by the time I got to the beach I was getting pretty hot so I took off my sweatshirt and jogged in my T-shirt with my sweatshirt around my waist. When I got home my chest was very tight, so I was immediately concerned about my heart. And as the evening went on, pain spread through my chest and upper left-arm -- also not a good sign. It felt more like the pain I get if I sleep in a draft, but at the same time I could feel my heart beating very clearly and something didn't feel quite right.

To cut a long story short, the pain's been there all week up to now. I guessed at a certain point that it must be a rheumatic type pain from jogging in the T-shirt in the cold, and that that was either affecting my heart, or that the sensitive heartbeat was something separate. Painkillers, painkilling balm and a mini electric blanket have only provided a limited amount of relief, so I went to the doctor this morning. He also thought it was rheumatic and said I needed to do a much longer and more intense warming up before jogging. Just to be sure about the heart, I have an appointment for an ECG in half an hour, and they are going to do some blood tests next week.

The kids have had a good week. Anya, their Gran, arrived on Monday, so that was very exciting, although their barely concealed preference for Anya's presents rather than her presence was rather embarrassing. I blame the parents!

We are off to Palencia on Saturday for a wedding, Jamie is coming with us and Nuria will be looking after Danny here. Fingers crossed that that goes okay, it'll be his first night without us there. The original plan was that he would spend some time on his own with Nuria this week, but that has not happened so far. The best laid plans...

No comments: