Friday, October 01, 2004

Bike ride yesterday

I had a big deadline to meet yesterday (Wednesday) so I was manacled to the computer until I got it finished at 5, then leaped out of the door to go for a long-awaited bike ride. Also much-needed as I hadn't been out of the house for 2 days! I decided to bring back the bike I borrowed from our friends Marian and Vivion, which my brother Jason had used when he was staying here in August. I took off on one of my favourite circuits, over the main bridge towards the beach then up the cliffs and over to Meron along the back road, up to La Revilla then on to the Comillas road, turning off just before La Rabia onto the road to El Tejo and Lamadrid, which they are busy resurfacing at the moment, and about time too! When I got to Lamadrid, I decided to cut back over the motorway and along the path that runs between Pico Saria and Abano, which is the steep path alongside the motorway (Jason will remember). Total of about 22 km I reckon (couldn't check this though as my bike computer was on my other bike) in 1.5 hours.

It was the first time I'd ridden the bike, and the first thing I noticed was that it was a lot lighter than my own bike, which is a hybrid mountain/city bike and therefore more sturdy than a straightforward mountain bike. The next thing I noticed was that the bike was a death trap! The front brakes needed tightening, and the brakes in general took ages to do anything. The front forks wobbled, and putting the bike in bottom gear at the front resulted in either the chain jamming in the teeth or in the chain coming off completely. Somehow I managed to get it back safely, more by luck than judgement though. Having to keep my hands hovering over the brakes at all times meant my hands were in a painful position, and cramping up after 20 minutes.

(I hope this doesn't come across as ingratitude, both Jason and I were very glad to have had the bike at our disposal this summer. We had a great time on it, taking it out on 3 long, hilly trips totalling more than 100 km).

Everything considered I enjoyed the ride yesterday though, despite the discomfort and fear for my life ;) My thigh muscles were twinge-ing nicely this morning.

We watched the mighty Barca last night, who are looking like main challengers for the Champions League this season, although Wayne-a-rooney's galvanising hat-trick on Tuesday has made MU a major contender again. UEFA cup tonight, come on FC Utreg! Of course the only team that really matters (Sheffield Wednesday) was operating at a slightly different level yesterday - they got knocked out of the LDV Vans Trophy... Ah well, I reckon that must have been Paul Sturrock's intention, so that he could concentrate on the league....... ahem. To think they were in Europe and in the top 3 of the premiership only 10 years ago. Sigh.

No comments: