Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Hair today

Daniel had a haircut today (see photos above - click on them to see a bigger version). The last time he went to the hairdressers he made a huge fuss and was impossible to cut, so Carmen was steeling herself for more of the same today. However, it turned out we'd prepared him well, having talked about it with him all day, and Carmen says he sat perfectly still in the chair, with a very serious face, watching the locks of hair fall onto his Bob the Builder mobile phone in fascination. He even let Ciano, the barber, use the shaver and hairdrier, and spike his hair up with gel at the end. The end result is a great success IMO.

Jamie had another music lesson this afternoon, which went well. Apparently they started playing 'notes' today with their recorders, rather than numbers as they had been up to now.

This evening, despite still aching thighs, I decided to go for a jog. As it was a full moon and clear skies, I went onto the beach and ran almost to the headland at the end. It was wonderfully empty and a bit spooky in the pale moonlight. I guess I managed about 8 km / 5 miles in total, there and back, and I was very pleased that my calf muscles didn't cramp up. My perseverance seems to be paying off. What I do is I find a rhythm that suits my fitness level and legs and just keep going, almost hypnotically or like an automaton. I'm not sure if this is how you're meant to do it, but it works for me.

I suppose 8 km doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but it would have been unthinkable until recently. So please allow me to glow with pride briefly (or was that exertion?).

THURSDAY MORNING UPDATE
I hadn't been aware that there would be a lunar eclipse last night until Kelly mentioned it on the phone yesterday evening. As luck would have it I was awake at 5.45 this morning, wandered out onto the balcony and caught the eclipse in full swing. The sky was bright with stars, and the dawn chorus was under way all aronud. What a nice way to wake up, even if it was a bit early.

No comments: